Tuesday, May 03, 2016

Heckenfeur - It's on us; real world consequences


Now, under the Australian asylum seeker regime someone's gone and actually doused himself with petrol. And burned himself to death.

So proud of my country. So very proud.

Normal service will be resumed shortly.

Wednesday, April 20, 2016

Wither Wargaming?

Some news.

 There is a bit of a building project afoot at chez moi.
The end result will be along the lines of a three metre by six metre studio-cum-man-cave for yours truly.

I am reasonably secure in the knowlege that this will only take a minimum of pruning (especially of books and plastic kits of various kinds!) and I ought to then be shoe-horned into a reasonable space with everything in the one place. I have dreams of a reading chair, a lamp and a kettle.

Until now, the greatest barrier to my fully exploiting the possibilities of the hobby has been the lack of a place where I might actually have a game or leave one set up for a few days, so, the fingers are crossed.

Now I might actually have to have some sort of a game with all these toy soldier thingies I keep on buying!

Monday, March 07, 2016

Da Wallz Uv Mektown

What's a GorkaMorka game without some big, orky-looking terrain?

Da Wallz Uv MekTown
A chum and I are preparing slowly for a GorkaMorka demo game at the end of May for Little Wars, Melbourne.

Not to give too much away, but we are looking at getting a tanker Trukk full of XXXX Fungus Beer (Old Toady qv) from Da BrooHaus to Mektown along a rolling track with 2-3 factions attacking to win the prize of bringing 'er 'ome for Da Big Wun; look, let's just say it's one huge Orky Kultcharal Festivul and leave it at dat.

Like Orktoberfest, but wiv more Gunz.

Anyway, here are the fruits of my labours on the weekend with corrugated cardboard, masking tape, gloopy glue, paint, water and plaster powder. The result seems pretty robust and just needs a lick of paint.

Job's a good 'un. But does it need spikes? The question of our age.

UPDATE - Oh what the heck, let me inundate you with Orky imagery.
A few uv da Boyz. Groink!

Trukks wiv Boarding Plankz. Raaarrrrrr!

Trukkz wiv Roll Cagez - an unushual vencha in OH&S for da Ladz

Tuesday, February 23, 2016

French Line Gunners - Foremost

Will I sound self-satisfied if I remark that I am very pleased with how these fellows turned out?

I suppose I need a gun, now.

Next up, I'll be starting work on some RHA. Already cleaned and primed.

Sunday, February 21, 2016

Foremost Gunners - WiP

Hinchcliffe/Foremost Gunners.

These are rather nice figures and not incompatible with the Bicornes in the last post. Perhaps just a smidge taller. That's mostly due to the height of the bases though. heir anatomy is fairly natural and the sculpting simple, but not to the point of naivety. I do like the combination of smooth surfaces and shrply-incised detail which works well with washes. Likewise, I am very enamoured with the ability to add 7-8 figures to a single gun crew.


These miniatures are currently drying out their intermediate matt varnish coats in this picture. I often apply varnish to miniatures in the middle of the painting process if I think the paintwork will need protecting as the show goes on.

Saturday, February 20, 2016

Help Me; I'm painting Napoleonics!

Well. at the Duchy of Alzheim we are busy packing things up as our renovations seem likely to re-commence next week. This is a good thing as it will render us with a more civilized amount of that unutterable luxury - more living space. In my personal case this will also mean a dedicated hobby space that I have taken to calling a 'shedio' - part shed, part studio and wholly man cave.

However, before this is to happen, current hobby activities need to be reduced to the size of a paining tray again and so I am now just painting - in dribs and drabs - just a few Napoleonics.This isn't really a problem as I am deciding on a few long term projects at the moment and deciding whether I can face painting a few hundred fairly gaudy troops will be a deciding factor. And just to complicate matters a little, I seem unable to choose between Spain and Egypt and so am plumping for both. I also am entertaining a horrible suspicion (based on starting to re-read Marbot) that I may also get stuck with the French and Austrians in italy in the 1790s.

Anyway, that's another kettle of fish and I have hopes of some inter-operability at least among the cavalry and the guns.

Here's today's issue. What's wrong with this picture? I started painting the line infantryman on the left initially thinking he's an elite company bod. Look at that plume! A Voltigeur, surely. Then I noticed he's got no epaulets. Uhh. Ok. A fusilier then. The chamois collar became red. That's right, I thought. But then there is that plume. Did they wear them? I always was under the impression that he ought to have a pom-pom (I'm thinking of the 6-company structure...). His shako is rigged for full dress, though, so perhaps a plume is plausible?

Then there's the officer. Is his plume OK if he's with the light company? Or ought it be white?

This is what Napoleonics do to a man.

The figures themselves are Bicorne and lovely. The officer was very easy to paint, the fusileer less so due to his strapping nature, but we got there in the end. Each took a painting session each to get through. More have been purchased.

Next up are some Formost 30mm Line gunners which look very dishy - technically for 1812 on, but I won't tell if you don't. 

Tuesday, December 29, 2015

Why We Fight

 A few shots of the climax of the raid on Fickmuhlen.
 Much happiness here with regards to the look of the thing.
 von Browne's Foot in reserve under the watchful eye of the general himself.
 The Dragoons, awaiting their role as spoilers.
 The damned, useless guns.
Many, many thanks to Ross and Stokes for helping make this battle possible. Happy New Year to us all.