Tuesday, August 20, 2024

Just Passing Through

 Enthused after playing with my French infantry, I have gotten on with starting to base my Mamluk cav
alry.

I think I have posted here about the concept for the basing, so I won't go over it again.

Cha-a-a-a-arge!
The idea is to build up one large unit of Mamluks in the style you see in the picture; quite diorama-like with the smattering of infantry figures thrown in. The effect I am seeking is one of movement which I hope to emphasise with flags and banners. They will be the mainstay of the army. 

I will also build up smaller units of armoured cavalry and I hope, some camelry to really sell the diverse nature of the army. I want to create a large unit of 'rabble' infantry that I can break down into smaller units as scenarios demand as well as small units of musketeers that might be the private retinues of slavers and similar types.

Lastly, I would like to put together a unit of Janissaries because, well, this is officially the Ottoman Empire after all.

Numbers are still a work in progress, but 12 to 16 figure sub units suggest themselves.

No comments: