Friday, February 11, 2022

Moo, baa, oink

 Or, the Grimdark Ages.

In between painting various Frenchmen, I have had a few other things potter across my painting desk over the past month or so.

Some dead hard early Saxons by Gripping Beast. I think these minis are a prime bit of early 1990s design. Solid, and a bit chunky. I like them, although they are crude by todays' standards.

In the back row, if you look closely enough there is a Eureka Hiberno-Norse warrior which is a surprisingly nice figure that I painted (like all of these) up from a black undercoat.

In so many of the magazines that treated us with pictures to delight the eye in years gone past, I always was taken by the small side narratives that were possible when there was enough fluff and clutter on the table to allow it. Toy soldiers on their own can be boring*. Painting 200 of BN1, "Advancing at the Slope" can be a dull exercise both visually and as a matter of preparation. So, perhaps I ought to start a small series - on the side -  of "clutter"? 

I have a small number of various farm animals that have collected in various drawer over the past few years. I and am now finally getting around to painting them. They are variously Pegasus and Wargames Atlantic and very good fun to paint. I note on a sprue a couple of cats who our own will be modelling for.

I suppose I shall be on the lookout for suitable civilians next. And trees. One never seems to have enough trees.

*Is this the proverbial wargaming "elephant in the room"?


4 comments:

David Morfitt said...

Nice Saxons - and I think that clutter is essential to a really well-developed and attractive gaming table. It's also a useful distraction as something to enjoy looking at when the troops are doing badly... ;-)

Cheers,

David.

David Morfitt said...

Oh and yes - definitely need cats! :-) (Our cat told me to say that...)

Cheers,

David.

Bloggerator said...

Ah there is no escaping the self-interest of cats.

Coming soon, our regular updates. I have almost finished the La Reine regiment and will be cracking on with HM 44th Foot.

Cheerio,

Greg

David Morfitt said...

Cats know they are the centre of the universe and humans merely their servants - all seems quite reasonable, really. :-)

Look forward to seeing La Reine in all its glory.

I'd like to do British flags too one day - they are on my very long list of things to do eventually (if I live so long). Good luck with the work.

Cheers,

David.