Monday, January 22, 2007

The Croat Terror!

Those among you with a taste for such things may recognise these Croats as being Carlstadters from the Likaner Regiment. Reference for painting then (and I think also for the original sculpts) is my Blandford "Uniforms of the Seven Years War, 1756-1763" by Mollo and McGregor.

Not so much a new venture, I was combing thru my lead mountain and found these odds and ends. They're not quite finished (they need basing and a few need loose weapons attached), but I was so pleased with them, I had to show off...

6 comments:

marinergrim said...

They do have an excellent feel to them. All movement and dynamism. notto mention a really cool colour scheme and paint job.

Stryker said...

Greg,

They look superb! How do you manage to paint so quickly - did you do them all in one sitting? I am in awe...

Ian

Bloggerator said...

Ian they were about 5 days in the painting. The trick is batch painting. All the red (the largest colour area) then the faces & hands, the cross-belts, the water-bottles... you get the picture. I usually can get in 30 mins while I'm getting ready for work and an hour in the evenings. I reckon I can do one stage (say, the faces) in one 30 min sitting.

The look best en masse; not so hot on their own.

Greg

Stryker said...

Greg,

Me thinks you are too modest! Your painting style is great (I zoomed in on those chaps and they are darn good!). I am relieved to find that you took 5 days to do them though. I have tried many different ways to batch paint but the only way I can retain my enthusiasm is to do 3 at a time - which is a bit limiting. Keep it up your blog is motivating me to try a bit harder!

Ian

Anonymous said...

Nice paint job Greg. I especially like the subtle orangish highlights. These pictures almost make me want to start painting Croats again. I have a bag of 36 on hand - RSM of course. I have always thought that these were the best looking Croats ever sculpted. The sculptor got the hats "just right" (see the Front Rank Croats with beehive caps for an example of a bad figure).

MurdocK said...

En masse is right, as with all minis from the tricorne or shako periods, they always look better when 'formed up'!