Friday, June 02, 2006

War Plan Red

The War Room.

A terrain is laid out on a large table. It groans all the while under the weight of all the hills and valleys laid out in dampish sand. Streams and ponds and so forth are finely shredded blue paper. Figures by Meisterzinn.

"Ah ha" cries his Majesty in triumph. "Caught you there Keith you old devil!" I bet you never expected my Cuirassiers to be lurking behind that hill!"

"No indeed, your Majesty", says old Keith. "But did your Highness note my Croats in that spinney yonder? What do you think of that, eh Bauer?"

"I am sure His Majesty will riposte in a most effective wise in the fullness of time. Now, gentlemen, some light refreshment? Where is Schmundt with those sweetmeats? Schmundt? You, blaggard, idling as usual! Ha! Shall I cuff him Your Majesty?

"By all means Bauer, deliver the fellow three solid buffets! Stint not your blows! You see Keith? That's how to keep the idlers and shirkers in line! Eh! What! (Strike on Bauer) "Oh, blast my breeks! The fellow's knocked the table over. Imbecile! Conduct the Generalfeldmarschall hence that he may have the sand brushed from his coat!"

"Your Majesty, realy I am quite all right."

"No, no Keith, I do insist!. Bauer will set the table for us that we may take up later; I assure you my memory of our respective dispositions is quite exact."

"Your Majesty."

"My dear Generalfeldmarschall."

Bauer walks over, a silver Grenadier in his hand, bayonet slightly bent. "Your Majesty has the same way with the soldiers as the King of the Prussians."

"Why thankyou Bauer. You are really quite a usefull fellow yourself."

No comments: