Wednesday, May 01, 2013

More crappy figures

Slovaks busily collaborating in Fascist aggression
On the topic of ropey-looking castings, I have been painting a few of my old Raventhorpe Slovaks these past few days.

They look pretty unpromising in the bare metal, but respond well to some washed on block colours followed by another wash of Gryphonne Sepia and a little lining-in with a dark brown.

I think the trick with them is that they are quite uncluttered with detail. Where there is some, it is sculpted in quite sharp relief which helps the washes get to where they need to go. The areas that are smooth are very smooth which with a good matt white undercoat also helps the painting along.

Three PS's:

One - I like the two artillerymen playing "Heads, Shoulders, Knees and Toes in the centre there, don't you?

Two - I painted my 100th and 101st Spencer Smith Franco-Prussian War figures last night. My Painting challenge targets are bang on time for once!

Three - It was Erin's 4th birthday yesterday.


Erin's new scooter. She looks rather pleased with it, doesn't she?

I should have known this would happen!


4 comments:

WSTKS-FM Worldwide said...

They look, I must say, rather jaunty in that Weimar era, goose stepping way!

Best Regards,

Stokes

Bloggerator said...

Oh, they fun they had. The joy of being an old "frontkampfer"!

Cheers,

Greg

Conrad Kinch said...

Looking good - many happy returns to Erin!

Bloggerator said...

Thanks Mr K, on both counts.

Cheers,

Greg