Sunday, January 21, 2018

Wargaming the Franco-Prussian War

Last year I managed to acquire a small collection of Franco-Prussian War figures. They were 25mm Tradition (plus a few plastic Spencer Smith) figures originally from the collection of Stuart Asquith which he has shown considerable ingenuity in assembling from diverse sources.
Tradition Bavarians

I have been slowly adding to it myself along the same lines and I am at the point where it is time to start doing something with the collection. It's about eight units per side now of infantry at ten figures per unit. There are also two units of cavalry at eight figures per side as well. No guns yet, but that it a problem I am sure I can resolve.
Tradition Prussians

Now here's the thing. I am looking at this collection as a game in a box (or two) that I can pull out, have a game with in a couple of hours whilst hitting the beer and chatting amiably about toy soldiers and so on.
Old SAE Swedish Cavalry repainted as Prussian Dragoons

Can anyone in blog-land suggest a ruleset? or do I need to write my own?

4 comments:

tradgardmastare said...

I acquired two Franco Prussian armies in 42mm last year. I have had some very enjoyable games with a set of rules written by a fellow blogger Tony from the north of England written in an old school style. I will try to get you the link later in the day.
Alan

tradgardmastare said...

http://tonystoysoldiers.blogspot.co.uk/2016/02/publish-and-be-damned.html
A link to the rules I mentioned,enjoy!

Dan Foley said...

A Gentleman's War is a set Howard Whitehouse and I have been working on (mostly Howard). Not yet published they are available on the Yahoo Group. A fine set if you ask me and your forces will fit the bill.

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/groupurlGentlemansWar/info

WSTKS-FM Worldwide said...

No rule suggestions, but this IS exciting news! The various wars of the mid-19th century have always fascinated me, and if time and funds were no object, I'd indulge in several of them in 30mm. Hope to see your own FPW troops displayed here at some point. You are getting to be quite the collector and scrounger.

Bet Regards,

Stokes

P.S.

Writing your own rules, perhaps based on Featherstone's principles, is the only way to go now that I think of if. Put your own stamp on things!