Sunday, December 12, 2021

Splashing Some Paint Around

 I managed a little painting over the weekend. 

You may recall the pair of guns I was refurbishing. They had been hanging around forever. One had started to fall apart from neglect. So, it was out with the paints and superglue and we were good. I got some gunners either painted or, in a coupe of cases, merely based. Simple stuff, and lo and behold I had my first gun crew. The officer in the background is meant to be an engineer officer, but I have another casting who will get a red coat in the fullness of time.
One of the remodelled range of Willies ( an ADC, I believe) reports to my very old Soubise. In my wilder youth he wore a pink coat, turned up in yellow. Since those days he has changed his ways for a more sober - yet not unmilitary - garb. He may well do duty as my Montcalm. I believe I have a dismounted version from the remodelled range who may yet stand in the entrenchments on the heights of Carillon.


9 comments:

WSTKS-FM Worldwide said...

Yes! More inspirational brushwork. While all of your figures and projects over the years have been a visual feast to behold, your 18th century stuff is the very best in my humble view. It just has that certain something about it regardless of the figures used. Your true metier perhaps?

Kind Regards,

Stokes

Bloggerator said...

Stokes, this is entirely possible.

I think this project has been helped by my settling on a style of basing that is a) easy to apply and b) finally satisfies my aesthetic sensibility. What a tosser I am, I know.

I have been awfully finicky over this one thing for years, trying this and that and finally I am in a happy place and it helps to push me along.

Another week of these Frenchmen and I'll be at the bottom of this particular heap and it will be time to turn to the British I have stockpiled.

Best wishes for the season,

Greg

David Morfitt said...

Splendid; those figures are somehow so very evocative of the 18th century as we imagine it. And, as Stokes say, your other work is excellent but perhaps the 18th century is your true metier... :-)

Cheers,

David.

Bloggerator said...

I do enjoy them, I must say.

But that might just be me with the bit between my teeth, too!

Regards,

Greg

David Morfitt said...

Ah - well, keep on biting away! ;-)

Cheers,

David.

Bloggerator said...

Ahh, the trick is not to bite off more than one can chew.

I am resolutely avoiding the small pile of Willie Arquebusiers de Grassin that I have, AND the copy of Fontenoy by Charles Grant.

But a little voice says to me that if I got together the 42nd Highlanders... well, they fought at both Fontenoy and Carillion....

Greg

David Morfitt said...

True! Although I recently did the infantry flag of the Grassins and would love to see that in action. :-) (Absolutely loved Charles Grant's books - his books have a very treasured place on my bookshelves and are fairly often taken off for a nostalgic read.)

I have often thought of doing some British SYW flags - and with luck will have the time and energy to do some eventually... (The early SYW 42nd flags were relatively simple so I am tempted possibly to do them in the not very distant future.)

Look forward to seeing more of your troops on the blog!

Hope you and your family have a good Xmas and New Year, despite the current not so favourable circumstances.

Cheers,

David.

Ross Mac rmacfa@gmail.com said...

Very well done, as always!

Bloggerator said...

Thank-you Ross. I appreciate it.

Greg