Monday, May 08, 2023

What I did on the Weekend

This weekend was surprisingly filled with a fair bit of hobby activity. I FINALLY pulled my finger out and finished this unit - five partially painted figures leapt from the "languishing partly-painted queue" straight into the ranks.. Shall we call them Bavarians/Alzheimers for the Turkish Wars? The flags are a fudge, borrowed from warflags.org for the BAvarian Army of the WSS. The basing conforms to that of "Beneath the Lily Banners II"standard.

 

Well, while I was on a roll, I pulled out, cleaned up, assembled and primed these fellows. You see them here in their primer with a coat of the marvellous GW "Darkoath Flesh". I think I will never buy another flesh-toned paint for Europeans.



I was sufficiently enthused that I decided I's paint a few to completion in double-quick time. Not quite there yet, but well on the way. I was going to paint them as "Picardie" but got a little over enthusiastic and the white cuffs got a coat of red before I really thought things through.... Bit of a d'oh! moment, but that's me at 5.30 in the morning before I've finished the first coffee of the day... Next unit perhaps! :^). I decided to make it easy on myself and use Contrast paints as much as possible with these and so went "Apothecary White" with their coats over a very pale gray prime. This marvellous colour will be my go to paint for any more Gris-blanc!

I have also been doing a couple of 1/35 scale miniatures to flex other painting muscles. I don't often paint larger scale figures, and almost never Resin (why?), but this chap needed a little greenstuff sculpting to patch up a nasty casting flaw I hope he'll turn out as nicely as his pal. 

Two thin coats of that Darkoath Flesh again, blended with a little grey to do the 5 o'clock shadow. I'm very pleased with how he turned out. Now I just need a diorama for the pair of them.




4 comments:

WSTKS-FM Worldwide said...

Some really nice brushwork there, old bean! The Frenchman's face in the last photograph is masterfully executed.

Kind Regards,

Stokes

Bloggerator said...

Thank-you very much Stokes.

I really wanted to make him look dirty and fatigues. Desaturated colours really work for that.

Ross Mac rmacfa@gmail.com said...

A weekend well spent then........ Excellent brushwork!

Bloggerator said...

Thank-you Ross.