Monday, September 11, 2023

Busy-busy, rats-rats

 A minor diversion from the Zulus this past few days as I have sunk my prominent incisors into painting some clanrats from GW's line of Skaven.

Always liked them, often trembled on the brink of buying some and now I have finally made the move and bought forty of the little beggars. Why? Well, why not ultimately.

The Story So Far

I am sticking with a pretty limited palette, mostly bone, gray and a dull red. Main colours get blocked in then it's two washes - a black wash and a red-brown one once the first has dried. Then I layer up the colours. I am going for a rough, sketchy final highlight to suggest grot and coarse cloth over a smoother initial highlight which basically tidies up the shapes after the washes have gone on and blurred everything.

A dozen paints and a couple of washes.

I am still thinking about basing. Initially I thought one of the dark gray texture paints and some dead grass, But, I don't know as things are already pretty dull. Needs thinking about a bit. I want the bases to make the figures stand out rather than for them just to mush into them.

Shewing Detail of the Artists' Treatment of various Materials and Textures



Would you want to meet this character in a dark alley?

6 comments:

Peter said...

These have come really nicely with the washes.

Bloggerator said...

Cheers Peter.

Dose doity rats!

Donnie McGibbon said...

Lovely work on those nasty rats!! The limited colours work really well for Skaven, give them a real grimy underworld feel!

WSTKS-FM Worldwide said...

Really nice brushwork on those, er, skaven!

Kind Regards,

Stokes

Khusru said...

The Skaven are a pretty versatile race. They also have a minimum of detail outside of the face and yours have come out well.
I like the Skaven, I used about 16. for Sell Swords and Spell Slingers and 9 for Five Parsecs from Home, The latter having from weapons from the Stargrave Crew box

Bloggerator said...

Thanks Khusru.

I've finished painting my first unit of 20. Once their basing is all done, I'll post some pictures.

Regards,

Greg